Sunday 11 October 2009

No Ships and No Castle !!!

After missing out on my first OFC walk yesterday, due to having to visit a smoke salmon factory in Scotland during the week, I was itching to get out and about. I also wanted to visit somewhere I have not been before and secrete a cache for people to find. Caching is not every ones idea of fun I know and it is anorak time. So it's perfect for me. Computers, walking, GPS, maps, treasure, what more could a man want.

I decided on a route above the Derwent Valley. Starting from Fairholmes visitor centre. Just before I set off I remembered that whilst I had made and packed my lunch, I had forgotten to eat breakfast. Can you imagine that. What could I possibly do?? Well, fortunately, the visitor centre has a caff which, surprise, surprise, sells ,tea and more importantly Bacon Sarnies. Of course it would be remiss of me to pass the opportunity up, so I sat for a while looking at the map and comforting myself.


9.30am and still not out of the car park. Won't do at all, so it's off we go.


Leaving the car park, immediately across the road is a path that rises through the tree plantations. I don't know what it is about plantations, but I like walking through them. Care has to be taken at present, as they are carrying out logging operations. The track does not always follow OS, but it does bring you out at the right point. A stile between the woods and a field. I was beaten to the stile by a couple of marauding kids, who then proceeded to count through the other 19 of their mates making 22 in all, plus 4 adults. The young lad, give him credit, stood there counting with a self satisfied grin which he kept aiming at me and my waiting. Once through and calmed down I rose to a further gate and turned left to walk past Lockerbrook Farm. Obviously where the kids had come from. A planning sign notified the passerby of intention to fit a steel chimney for a wood burning stove. So, the little darlings may have been very cold last night. See there is a God!!

Follow the track along until you come to the junction of 4 tracks. Walk back a bit as you have just missed your turning to the right, via the access land sign, that takes you on to Alport Castle, the ultimate destination. Follow this path along the ridge. The weather here was foul, driving rain and wind. I muttered several thoughts about weather forecasters, only to remember this is what they HAD forecast. Eventually after reaching a wall, you reach a paved track along the top of the ridge. Follow this until The Tower comes in to view. A footpath leads down to the Tower. It is well worth a visit, but take care the stones are very slippery.




Alport Castles is a strange and slightly spooky place. Up on the moors, miles from anywhere, it just should not be there. Apparently, this is Englands biggest landslip and you can see why. It is an eerie place, very quiet, with looming rock formations. In the mist it was even more enigmatic.







Tracing the path back up you return whence you came for 5 yards and then take a path off the ridge to your right and follow this down to Alport Farm at the bottom. The views down the valley are breathtaking here, especially with the sun giving a light show through scudding clouds.




Woodlands Valley






On reaching the farm, follow the track along to eventually reach the A 57 Snake Road. Be careful on exiting the stile as you are straight on to the road. Cross here and follow the path around to gain a ford, walk across, it isn't deep and follow the route of the water course down the valley.

You will turn a corner and suddenly be faced with the most unexpected site. A football field complete with goal posts. Heaven knows why or better still who plays here, but it must be one of the most unusual fixtures on a Saturday. Continue on until you reach Rowley Bridge and cross back over the Snake here. Climb past Hagg Farm centre and regain the point where four paths meet. Once here, it is a simple matter of retracing you steps until you reach Fairholmes again and a cup of well earned tea.






This is a lovely walk through some wonderful parts of the high peak estate. Rugged and beautiful, it epitomises all that the National Park should be. If people want details of the walk then let me know and I will send the file through. The total length is 9.5 miles and a good 3.5 hours should see it off.

If you want to know more about the treasure or indeed take part in the hunt then visit the competition page on the wapentac website for more details.




1 comment:

  1. A good route to make up for missing out yesterday's walk. Just think if you'd have been with us yesterday it could have been you causing the delay.

    Must look out for the football pitch. I don't recall seeing it and I've walked that way often enough. I wonder if it's new.

    ReplyDelete